With every design choice, our products should be about what's best for people, not what's best for grabbing eyeballs.
- What if we designed devices to help us disconnect without missing something important?
- What if we designed devices to help us fall asleep on our schedule?
- What if we designed devices for quick in-and-out uses, not endless interactions?
Home Screens & Browsers
- What if we designed home screens to promote off-screen choices, not just on-screen choices?
- What if we designed social media to reduce loneliness–and made it easier to coordinate with others?
- What if we designed news feeds to reward the most in-depth reporting, not most clicks?
These are small examples of time well spent design. They do NOT address the major changes needed reverse the severe impact of the digital attention crisis.